Cover image made possible by PNG TREE.
I agree with you: content is king.
But with 2 million blogs posted every day on WordPress alone, your page is going to drown in a sea of content.
If you want to build traffic, you need to do one thing: promotion.
Today, I will share with you the most effective ways on how to promote a website. It does not matter if you are operating a blog or an e-commerce store—you need to spend 40% of your time creating content, and 60% promoting your content.
Here are the things that work:
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Activities
- Quora and Reddit
- Influencer Marketing
- Lead Magnets
While you do not have to do all of these, you must pick only a few. Focus your efforts on your desired methods, and move on to the other strategies once you see progress.
Learn How to Explode Your Traffic
1. Search Engine Optimization
SEO is not negotiable. You need to get this done right, or you will not rank your website. I wrote a comprehensive free ebook about SEO, which you can download for free from my freebies page.
SEO is the process of getting free traffic from search engines, the dominant of which is no other than Google.
Like a library, Google indexes the pages of your website, and it ranks all these websites based on 200+ factors.
No one knows what these factors are, but there are best practices out there that you need to pick up.
Here are some examples:
- Keyword selection – you need to target keywords that have a high search volume
- Keyword placement – you need to write content and use the keywords in specific areas such as the title, one sub-header, the meta-description, and the body
- Page speed – if your website is too slow, Google will not rank your pages on top of the search engine page results (SERPs)
- Mobile-optimized – more than 70% of search is done via mobile. If your website does not work properly on mobile, say goodbye to rankings
SEO covers an entire gamut of running a website, the two branches of which are on-page and off-page SEO. Both of these are critical in promoting your website.
While there is an endless debate as to what is the most effective SEO strategy, you need to lean towards white hat SEO or SEO that does not attempt to game the system. Google has a smart algorithm, and if there is one thing that it hates, it hates useless content.
As a search engine, Google’s goal is to provide content that is relevant and authoritative. If your site is spammy, slow, and does not add value to the user, Google is not going to rank you as it does not want to provide its users with a bad experience.
You cannot rely on free SEO tools. You need to use one that is reliable. While it is true that SEO tools are not accurate, accuracy is the least you can expect because these tools are not Google. They rely on data that is available, but you should never expect 100% accuracy from these tools.
What I recommend is SEMRush. It does not only provide you with a list of keywords and their respective search volumes, but it also does a great job in auditing your site.
2. Social Media Activities
Some experts say that social media is a waste of your time. I disagree. Any promotional method that is not done right is a waste of time.
For example, I do not use Instagram to promote this website because I do not sell physical products. I also do not have any Instagram-worthy photo to share. Justkeepshippin’ is an e-commerce website, and it is best shared on FB, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Take a look at my acquisition screenshot below:
My traffic from social media accounts for 43% of my overall traffic. This is huge. And how did this happen? I post all my blogs on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Here are some tips on how to promote a new website on social media:
- Post consistently – social media feeds will push down your content; unless you post consistently, no one will see your content.
- Use the right social media channels – Facebook is great for everything while Instagram is best for online stores. Pinterest works for blog posts and product pages, and Twitter can work for both e-commerce stores and blogs.
- Reuse content but do not spam – the ideal number of pins on Pinterest is five per day. Only a monster blogger or entrepreneur can do this. What you can do is to repost your images and blogs, but never spam.
For example, I have more than 100 blog posts on this website. I post only one piece of content per day on my social media (posts that were already published on my blog).
Once I hit the hundredth or the “last post”, I start over again and repost my old contents.
As you can see, the person who saw my social media post today is not the same as the person how saw it 100 days ago.
- Engage with your audience – if somebody re-tweeted your post, say “thank you”. If somebody posted a comment, you have to respond. You need to engage your audience as this can spark a conversion, and people may share your content with your friends.
As far as social media is concerned, you need to be smart with how you do it. You cannot post your blog or product content separately each time, as this is time-consuming.
What I use is Hootsuite. It has a free version where you can share your content on two platforms. If you want more, you need to upgrade.
With Hootsuite, I upload one post and choose the social media channels where I want to post them. I do this once, every Saturday, and I schedule the posts for the succeeding two weeks. Even if I am asleep or away, Hootsuite is going to post this as scheduled, and I can go on my way.
If you do not have the time to do this, you can hire a virtual assistant from Fiverr and pay him $5 per hour or work. You can also negotiate terms on a per-project basis if you do not want to pay per hour.
3. Quora and Reddit
Quora and Reddit are forum platforms. A forum is a place where a person starts a subject or topic, and the rest of the community provides an answer.
To drive traffic from these two sites, you have to position yourself as an authority. You need to answer questions and help people with their problems. In your answers, you can leave some links to your website.
Be careful when doing this. People on forum sites hate marketers. What you have to do is to answer the inquiry to the best of your ability, and then recommend some links to your website.
Do not leave affiliate links to your answers, or you will be reported, and you may get banned.
Here are some tips on how to promote website traffic through forums:
- Be sincere – people on forums have a nose for marketers; those who have no sincerity to help and only want to sell will not succeed here.
- Help people – the very reason people go on forum sites is to ask for help; if you fail at doing this, you will never build your authority in your domain.
- Build your profile – create your profile page and add your links in there; if you are great at answering questions, people will click your profile, and that is where you can get traffic
Again, do not spam people. People in forums hate marketers. They are in forums sites because they need answers, not products.
If you operate an e-commerce store, leave links to your blog, not on your product pages. Leaving photos and images of your products with links is a cardinal sin in forums sites. If you have no time answer forum questions on a regular basis, hire someone who will do it for you.
4. Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is an important method of marketing your content or services. I have experienced this myself.
As a freelance writer, I have been working with an influencer client for almost a year. The blog articles I wrote for this client ranked on the first page of Google, with several on the first spot. My client is an online course creator.
It took only one recommendation from this client to his students, and I got flooded with orders!
An influencer has power. It takes only one share from one influencer to get traffic to your website or your product page. However, you cannot expect this for free—you have to shell out money to make it work.
If you are just starting out, you have to look for influencers within your sphere. What I mean is that you should not attempt to work with influencers who have millions of followers—these are too costly.
You need to look for influencers who have a few thousand followers, and then negotiate a deal.
Here are some tips on how to promote a website with influencers:
- Look for micro-influencers – these are influencers have a small following, but these followers are niched. They are much more engaged because they are sharing the influencer’s passion.
- Work out a strategy – never rely on just one post. You and the influencer must have a plan on how to execute your marketing posts
- Pay cash or goods – some influencers, especially those who are not yet so big in social media, would love to get free items from you; if you are operating a dropshipping store, you can send a product to the influencer. Once the influencer gets it, he or she can post a photo of her, plus a link to your website.
If you want to now more about dropshipping, you can read my blog about it: High-Level Plan: Start a Dropshipping Business in 4 Easy Steps
You can find influencers in Fiverr and pay them $25 for a deal, or you can use a website called TapInfluence.
5. Lead Magnets
The last on my list on how to promote a website is through the use of a lead magnet.
What is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is anything that attracts a person who will become a lead. In a sales funnel, you have to convert a site visitor into a lead. A lead a person who is a prospect customer. This will happen if you got the person’s email address.
But what will make a person give you his email address?
Here are some examples of lead magnets:
- Free trial
- Free tool
- Case studies
Not all e-commerce stores have to use the same lead magnets. The most common is an eBook, which you can write.
Here is an example of how you use a lead magnet:
As you can see, I offer a free eBook in exchange for the site visitor’s email address. And what do I do with that email?
I put that in a list. Every time I publish a new post, my lead receives a notification from me in his email—that I have published a new post.
Since my email subscribers were notified, they will open my post, and I get traffic to my website. You cannot do this automation without an autoresponder. One of the best autoresponders that I recommend is GetResponse.
With GetResponse, you can create a sequence of emails that will automatically send to your list of subscribers. The kind of email that your subscriber would receive depends on his actions.
Tale a look at what an autoresponder like GetResponse can do:
If you want to learn more about the power of autoresponders, you can read the blog I wrote about it: What do auto-responders do?
How to promote a website: summary
There go my five best practices on how to promote a website. Most of these are free, while some required a small investment. Whatever it is, you have to do SEO first and foremost, and then choose from the others.
As I mentioned earlier, content is King, but it will never find a kingdom if you do not win the war. Your war is content promotion, and you will only win if you manage in ranking one of your web pages on the first page of the search engines.
Share this knowledge!
or Follow me on Social Media!
My Recommended Tools
Why waste time and spend thousands of dollars when I already did? Stop wasting your money testing tools that do not work. I already did that. Check my recommended tools so you get only the best.