What if I tell you that you can do what Amazon does for upselling products to its buyers?
If you have been to Amazon, you would have noticed that it has a system where the site presents you with recommended items, or items that people who bought the product you are looking at also purchased.
Sometimes, you also see “frequently bought together” recommendations below the product page.
Did you realize that you can do the same for your Shopify store?
You have to use any of the following tools:
- Frequently Bought Together
- In-Cart Upsell
- SMART Bundle Upsell
- Discounted Upsells
- Smart Search & Instant Search
- Bold Brain
- Bold Upsell – Upsell Smarter
- Ultimate Special Offers
We will review each one and I will tell you if they are free or paid, how much, and what their features are.
But first, why even bother using these tools?
When readers buy products and services discussed on our site, we earn affiliate commissions that support our work.
Why is upselling so important?
Upselling and cross-selling are important marketing action plans for any business. Go to any McDonald’s store and you’d find out how they do it.
The service personnel would always recommend a product, or tell you to upsize your drinks or fries—or maybe get the combo instead of the solo order.
But why is upselling or cross-selling important?
1. Increase Sales
You have to do this to increase the average order value or AOV. You see, you are selling products that people can do without. It is likely that the customer is going to take a while to make a purchase again. Given this situation, you want to squeeze what you can from this buyer, so you have to offer more.
2. Increase Awareness
Sometimes, buyers also do not realize that you are selling a particular product that they also want. It could be that they did not browse your store long enough, or they just missed it. Oftentimes, customers also do not realize that they needed something unless you told them.
For example, a customer may be looking at an aquarium filter from your store, not realizing that there is such a thing called activated carbon, which can help improve the quality of the aquarium’s water.
If you had a system that would automatically show the customer the activated carbon, even if he is looking at a filter, then chances are he would buy both, especially so if you did a good job at presenting the activated carbon as a necessity.
3. Increase Value
If you can offer bundles at a discounted price, do it. Customers love to save money, and only you can help fulfill this need.
Just imagine if you are selling three products at the following cost:
- Product A – $29.99
- Product B – $19.99
- Product C – $9.99
If bought separately, these three can cost about $60. But if you offer all three for $39.99, the customer would have saved about $20.
To help the customer make this quick and emotional decision, you can use tools to present the bundle in a way that is easy to understand.
You see, saving money is an objective goal. To the customer, it makes perfect sense. What they do not realize is that it is also an impulsive and emotional decision.
The thought of saving money can make a customer get the bundled products even if they do not need it.
Now, let us move on to the best Shopify upsell apps that will improve your conversion rate.
1. Frequently Bought Together
Developer: Code Black Belt
Cost: $7.99 per month
This is the kind of app that will show customers two items that people often by from your store. The expected result is that this new customer is also going to buy the other item, thus increasing your AOV.
The app has a 3-day free trial, and how it works is that it automatically does the analysis for what your customers buy together as a bundle. After this analysis is made, the app is going to show these results to people who are browsing your Shopify store.
Here are the apps features:
- Choose how many recommended products to show
- Select where the upsell grid will be placed in your store
- Choose which products to recommend; disable the automated selection of the tool
- Add discounts to the recommended products
This app is best used by dropshippers or e-commerce entrepreneurs who are already making money. If your store is new, I would rather that you focus on other marketing efforts that do not require this kind of spending.
2. In-Cart Upsell
Developer: Awesome Software
Cost: $0 to $49.99 per month
This tool has advanced targeting features without using pop-ups. The tool was made with customer experience baked in the design. It has a free version, and also a paid version where you get more juice out of it.
Here are the different plans:
- Free – you can only upsell one offer
- Beginner – the price is $19.99 per month, and you can create several upsell or cross-sell offers. The maximum you can create is 25 different offers, and you can also use the geo-targeting feature. In this feature, you can program the app to show specific offers to specific countries only.
- Professional – the cost is $49.99 per month, and your offers are maxed out at 500 different ones. If you get this plan, you can now use the feature called A/B testing. This is a method where you offer two variations of an ad or offer, and then the tool will show statistics of how both are performing.
This app is best used by dropshippers who are operating large stores. This is great if you have a Shopify Plus or enterprise account. If you are just testing the waters, use the free version, and check if you like the tool’s interface.
3. SMART Bundle Upsell
Cost: $27 month
This app was made for bundles. In it, you can select which products you want bundle together, and then set a price if the customer buys that bundle.
Like our example with McDonald’s earlier, you can create a bundle and offer it a lower price than what it would cost if the items were bought separately.
The app has a 7-day free trial, after which you will be billed $27 per month.
Here are the product features:
- Choose products you want to put in a bundle
- Choose items that the tool would upsell; trigger these products depending on what the customer has added to his cart
- Reward customers who spend more; with this app, you can create a discount that automatically applies if the customer reaches a certain purchase amount
Who should use this app? Due to the cost, this app must only be used by those who have a high profit margin, or those who are already selling at least 100 items a month. This ensures that you are making enough monthly sales to compensate for the app’s cost.
4. Discounted Upsells
Developer: Booster Apps
This app has three plans:
- Basic – $19.99
- Professional – $29.99
- Advanced – $44.99
You can use it for seven days for free, and this will allow you to test all the app’s features. While it also has a free version, you can only use it only if your Shopify store is still in its 14-day free trial period.
The app’s main feature is that you can create discounts and offers like buy 1 take 1, discounts based on percentages, upsell and cross-sell marketing campaigns, or buy 2 and then get 50% off on the next purchase. The app does not have the capacity to bundle items together.
At this cost, the only dropshippers who should use this are those that offer a wide variety of items, and those who are already earning enough to pay for the app’s monthly cost.
5. Smart Search & Instant Search
Cost: $9 per month
This upsell app serves huge companies like Durex, National Geographic, and Phillips. There is a free version, and there is also a paid version.
Here are the features of the app:
- Real-time analytics
- Search box
- Upsell and cross-sell for special offers
- Widgets for upsell; you can choose on which pages they would appear and on what part of the page
If you want to test the features of the paid version, opt for the 14-day free trial. The analysis tool is one of the best features of this app. You can use it to find out how your customers are behaving, as it would tell you what the site visitors are clicking or searching.
6. Bold Brain
Cost: $0 to $19.99 per month
This app has a free version, but you have to pay for a subscription if you want to use the full range of features. On top of that, the app would charge 2% of your sales if the sales came from the app’s widgets.
Here are the app’s features:
- Widgets – create widgets that would show your offers; place them in areas you choose
- Offers – the offers are automated, and will show the most reasonable offer to your site visitor based on past data
- Product views – the app will show your site visitors items that were viewed recently; the app will also show new and related products.
This app is costly because it has an analytics feature. It does record activities from your store, and it uses this information to decide how to present your upsells to your customers.
Pin it so you don’t forget it!
7. Bold Upsell – Upsell Smarter
Cost: $9.99 per month
This one is by far one of the most affordable apps for upselling. BOLD offers a 14-day free trial, after which you would switch to the paid plan.
The app allows you to do upsell and cross-sell. The primary method is through a pop-up, and the customer has to click the pop-up if he wants to avail of the promotional offer.
For example, a customer may be looking at shoes. In this case, the app can show shocks or a pair of shoes that is pricier.
Here are the app’s features:
- Create up to three upsells that would show in succession
- Create different types of offers based on what the customer already bought or what he is looking at
- Make other offers if the first or second one was rejected
- Can be integrated with other apps
This app is great for dropshippers who are already using upsell apps, but want to add more power to it. If the features of this app are combined with those of other plug-ins, you can create powerful upsell and cross-sell mechanics to drastically improve your sales.
Ultimate Special Offers
Developer: Pixel Union
Cost: $19 per month
Offered at a 10-day free trial, Ultimate Special Offers is one of the highest-rated Shopify upsell apps. With this tool, you can create upsell options, bundles, bulk pricing, and so much more. While the app is not free, it does give you value for your money.
Here are the app’s features:
- Bulk discounts – you can create automated discounts of the customer buys in bulk. It is up to you if you want to offer percentage values or fixed prices on bulk orders.
- Discounts – you can program discounts at your store per item or to an entire collection
- But 1 Get 1 – you can offer two same products for the price of one. You can also program it in a way where a consumer what product he wants for his freebie.
At $19 per month, this app can do multiple things to improve your conversion rate. You can also bundle products with this tool and sell the bundle at a lower price.
Awesome tools, aren’t they?
What I strongly recommend is that you get the free ones first. Once you have tested different combinations of upsell and cross-sell offers, you can start considering using the paid ones.
Do not pay for the apps unless your dropshipping store is already earning money. There are so many apps out there that can lure you into spending, and you end up spending more than what you are earning.
My advice: Never pay for so many apps unless your store is making money. Once your store starts making a profit, you can reinvest that profit to improve your sales and conversion. For now, use the free ones so you do not increase your overhead costs.
Do you need help?
If you do, subscribe to my blog and let me know how I can help you.
You can ask me to questions on topics not covered in this website, and I will do research about it. If you need me to review your website , let me know, and I will provide my opinion.
Sign-up once. Learn forever. For free.
Get my best content delivered straight to your inbox!
FREE eBook: Psychology of an Online Shopper: 14 Reasons Why People Buy
If you like this article, I was hoping you can follow me on my social media channels. If you do, you would know if I published a new blog post.
Here are my social media details: